OPINION: This article contains commentary which reflects the author’s opinion
Army Maj. Gen. William “Hank” Taylor debriefed the press on the killings of two ISIS Khorasan (ISIS-K) targets whom the Department of Defense claims is responsible for the terrorist attack that killed 13 members of the U.S. armed forces and over a hundred civilians at the Kabul airport in Afghanistan earlier this week.
Those speaking at the debrief, including Pentagon spokesman John Kirby, revealed no details about the identities of the two targets killed in the strikes, only insisting that they were responsible for planning terrorist attacks – describing them as “bad guys who can do bad things and plan bad missions.”
The two ISIS-K targets, he said, were killed during an airstrike that took place on Friday night.
“I can confirm, two high profile targets were killed and one was wounded …We will continue to have the ability to defend ourselves … as needed,” Taylor said, but did not elaborate further on who they were.
“The fact that two of these individuals are no longer walking on the face of the Earth, that’s a good thing,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby added. “We believe that we hit valid targets — bad guys who can do bad things and can plan bad missions.”
Kirby said it the strike “absolutely” impacted ISIS-K because “they have lost some capability to plan and conduct missions,” noting however that the strike did not “get us in the clear.”
“The threat stream is still dynamic,” he said.
Speaking at the debrief, Taylor explained that two “high profile” targets were “planners and facilitators” for ISIS-K but did not reveal their names or any details about who they were.
Axios reported that the United States launched a drone strike targeting members of ISIS-K in Afghanistan in the early hours of Saturday local time (Friday night in the United States) in response to the airport attack that occurred on Thursday.
“U.S. military forces conducted an over-the-horizon counterterrorism operation today against an ISIS-K planner. The unmanned airstrike occurred in the Nangarhar Province of Afghanistan. Initial indications are that we killed the target. We know of no civilian casualties.,” Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for the U.S. Central Command, said in a statement, initially reporting that a single target was taken out.
President Joe Biden on Thursday had vowed to issue a response to the attack, stating that he ordered the Pentagon to develop plans to strike ISIS-K “assets, leadership and facilities” in Afghanistan.
“To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm know this: We will not forgive, we will not forget, we will hunt you down and make you pay,” Biden said. “These ISIS terrorists will not win. We will rescue the Americans, we will get our Afghan allies. Our mission will go on. America will not be intimidated. We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not let them stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation.”
At the press briefing on Thursday, Biden added that the Aug. 31 deadline to withdraw fully from Afghanistan was uncharged but that he would provide additional forces to the military if necessary.
The State Department said earlier on Thursday that they were in contact with numerous Americans who remain in the country, noting that “we know that dozens more do not wish to leave Afghanistan for a range of reasons.”
That policy remains unchanged, with Defense officials stating at the Saturday conference that the evacuation mission is still set to conclude by Aug. 31 and that “nothing has changed about the timeline,” according to Kirby.
He noted that U.S. military forces have begun “retrograding” from the Kabul airport – or pulling out, in other words.
Article Source : Conservativebrief.com