OPINION: This article contains commentary which reflects the author’s opinion
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyoming) is once again pinning some of the blame for the current debacle unfolding in Afghanistan on former President Donald Trump and his secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, claiming their “surrender” to the Taliban directly led to the scenario currently playing out.
“We know the Taliban has never renounced al Qaeda. This is one of the things that was such an indefensible step by the Trump administration. When President Trump and Secretary of State Pompeo designed to sign a surrender agreement with the Taliban,” she told NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday.
Anchor Chuck Todd responded by saying, “President Trump’s national security adviser, H.R. McCaster, basically accused Secretary of State Pompeo at the time and the president. He called it a surrender agreement.”
“It is, absolutely. We sat down and negotiated with terrorists because we completely excluded the Afghan government from those negotiations. We gave credibility to the Taliban,” she said.
“Secretary Pompeo told us that the Taliban was going to renounce al Qaeda. They told us that the Taliban was going to fight terrorists. They forced the Afghan national government —we did, to release 5,000 prisoners,” she continued.
“We completely undercut the Afghan national government, absolutely emboldened the Taliban. We know from public reporting that the moment that agreement was signed, the Taliban went to members of the Afghan National Army and said, the Americans are leaving you, you should lay down your arms when the time comes, or we’ll kill you and your families. That led directly to the catastrophe we’re seeing today,” she added without addressing the fact that the U.S. and NATO had spent the better part of two decades training and equipping those forces to stand on their own and defend their own country.
It’s not the first time Cheney has been critical of Trump over Afghanistan.
“I think if you look at where we were, if you look at what it would have taken in terms of maintaining the status quo, 2,500 to 3,500 forces on the ground, conducting counterterrorism, counterintelligence operations, this disaster, the catastrophe that we’re watching unfold right now across Afghanistan did not have to happen,” Cheney told ABC News’ Jonathan Karl last week. “And it’s not just that people predicted that this would happen, everyone was warned that this would happen.”
Article Source : Conservativebrief.com